Charles-Cesar Marin, sieur de Lamassuere en de LaMargue: (1660's - 1713)
     He was the son of Jacques Marin & Helene Gorel/Sorel, born in France. Charles-Cesar was married first to Marie-Madeleine Niquet (m.1691)(daughter of Pierre-Rene Monty-Niquet & Francoise Lemoine) and later to Marie-Louise Lamy (m.1703)(daughter of Isaac Lamy & Madeleine de Chevrainville). His children were Paul (1692-1753), Catherine-Marguerite (1696-1747)(m.Francois-Michel Renou in 1713), Louis-Hector (1697-?)(m.Madeleine Barrois in 1739), Marie-Michelle (1712-?), Marie-Gertrude (1701-?), Marie-Louise (1704-?)(m.Louis Prudhomme in 1728), Claude (1705-1758), Jean-Marie (1708-1715), Marie-Francoise (1710-1725) & Charlotte (1713-?)(m. Pierre-Jean Hervieux in 1739).
Paul (Pierre-Paul) Marin, sieur de LaMalgue en de la Margue: (1692 - 1753)
     He was the son of Charles-Cesar Marin & Marie-Madeleine Niquet, born in Montreal. Pierre-Paul married Marie-Josephte Guyon-Dupres (m.1718)(daughter of Joseph Guyon-Dupres & Madeleine Petit) and their children were Joseph (1719-1773), Marie-Josephe (1726-?), Pierre (1727-?), Marie-Madeleine (1729-?)(m.Francois Coulon) & Geneveva (1732-?).
     In July of 1729, Paul he hired Antoine Baron, Louis Belech, Jean Bte.Belech, Francois de Salle Fauche, Louis Donnay & Joseph Etienne Durivage for Green Bay & Michilimackinac, in partnership with Louis Hamelin. He along with Hamelin's wife (Catherine Neveu - representing her husband) recognized a debt to Alexis Lemonine Moniere (before a notary) for funds used for the purpose of trading at the "poste des Folles Avoines" (Menomonee).
     Paul arrived in an area that had been the center of at least a century of  tribal disputes. Some time before European contact on the western shores of  Lake Michigan the Algonquin and Siouan Cultures collided in the region west of  Lake Michigan the effects of which were still being felt at the time of  Marin's arrival. By the late 1720's the Siouan populations in the region had been greatly reduced and for decades the area saw land disputes between the related Algonquin tribes. The Algonquin tribe usually at the center of these disputes was the Fox Nation. Soon after his arrival Marin was present at a council in which many of the Fox's tribal neighbors convinced Jean Guyon Dubuisson (French military Commander at La Baye & Uncle of Marin's wife) the need for exterminating the Fox Tribe. Economically the French had suffered decades of  tolls paid to that Tribe for using the main trade route (the Fox & Wisconsin River route) to the west, which passed through Fox lands. A force (of about 600 allied warriors & French) was organized in early 1730 and in March headed west from La Baye for Fox lands. The combined surprise attack from the river & land dislodged the Fox from Butte des Morts scattering the remnants of the Tribe. Later Fox refugees were attacked in Illinois Country (Aug./Sep.of 1730) & about 20 miles above the mouth of the Wisconsin River (winter of 1730/31) by Marin's forces. Survivors of this campaign either became slaves of the conquerors or fled west of the Mississippi River seeking sanctuary with their former Siouan neighboring Tribes (some later returned to live with the Sauk near La Baye).
     Marin's association with Hamelin apparently carried over into the next year, when they hire Jean Bte.Jubinville & Francois Provanche for "pays d'En hault" in June & July. In 1731/32, Marin's partnership with Hamelin appears to have dissolved (Hamelin is associated with Pierre Gautier, sieur de la Verendrye) and in June of 1732, Paul recognizes a debt to the Moniere's, Ignace Gamelin Jr. & Company after hiring Claude Bignet, Simon Picine, Francois Perrot, Pierre Perrot, Rene Cadet & Etienne Belemare in May for Michilimackinac & "le voyage dans le Nord". This same year Paul's brother-in-law, Jean Bte.Hervieux, sent Rene Messier to "le poste des Scioux" and the following year another brother-in-law, Francois Guion Derbanne Deprez, is sending Charles Leduc to "le poste des Sioux".
     Trading becomes difficult in the region to the south & west of the Great Lakes due to a Smallpox epidemic & the Fox Nations attempts to establish an alliance (the Kiala Confederation) against the French, ending in a battle near Green Bay (1733) in which the commander (Nicolas Coulon, sieur de Villiers) is killed and the Sauk Tribes fleeing to the west of the Mississippi. The Dakota during the next few years must have felt an increasing presser on their borders with the Cree convincing the Ojibwe to break the relatively long peace treaty with the Dakota and joining them on raids into Dakota territory from the north & east, coupled with the Fox & Sauk refugees now pressing them from the south. They finally denied the refugees sanctuary & began a threatening posture toward the French, likely blaming them for their neighbors advancements. In May of 1737 the French trade withdraws from Dakota lands, setting fire to Fort Beauharnois behind them.
     In 1737, Winimac, a Potawatomi Chief led a delegation of allied Nations to Montreal to ask the French Governor Beauharnois to allow for peace with the remaining Fox/Sauk refugees who they had aided the French in removing from the east side of the Mississippi. Beauharnois agreed and by late in the summer of 1738, Paul Marin is hiring Jacques Migneron, Jean Gette, Francois Janis, Antoine Morel & Jean (a "Panis de nation, dit Tarascon) for trade with "des Sakis et Renards". Paul seams to be a dominant trader at Green Bay during this period, trading with the refugee villages, near the mouth of the Wisconsin River
     In an effort to reestablish peace in the region again, LaRonde (the French commander of the Lapointe post on Lake Superior) reprimands the Ojibwe for an attack on the Dakota village at Mille Lacs & Marin escorts representatives of the Fox, Sauk, Winnebago, Ottawa, Menomenee & Dakota Nations (Dakota Chiefs Wabasha & Sinex) to a council held at Montreal with Gov.Beauharnois in June of 1740. In January of 1741, while Marin is holding a council with with the Dakota at the mouth of the Wisconsin River, Sieur L'Ecuyer arrives from the north with new of a large scale attack by the Ojibwe in which at large number of Dakota are killed. Marin again accompanies representatives of the Sauk, Fox, Menominee, Ojibwe, Winnebago & Dakota (Dakota Chiefs Sacred Born & Leaf Shooter) to Montreal for another peace council, held in Montreal by Gov.Beauharnois in July of 1742.
     The system of issuing trade licenses was discontinued and trade monopolies at the western posts were auctioned off to the highest bidder. The monopoly at Green Bay was sold to Joseph Fleury, sieur de Lagorgendiere (Fleury was Joseph Marin's father-in-law) and for an unknown reason Marin sailed for France where he was in 1743. The next year the King George's War erupts and in 1745, Paul was sent from Quebec to attack the British at Fort Anne (Nova Scotia) commanding 240 militia & Indians.
     While Marin was absent from the Upper Mississippi many changes had occurred west of the Green Bay Post. While the commander there, Paul d'Azemard, sieur de Lusignan, continued to have limited success in obtaining peace in the area until he was replaced in 1746, the next few years followed with drastic changes in French policy. The retiring Governor Beauharnois maintained the tradition policies toward the western native nations of  "covering & raising the dead" of important tribal figures and with tragic incidences in the west a policy of "surrender & forgiveness" was employed. With the new governor & intendent (in 1748) came a new policy of humiliation of visiting Chiefs and demands of death to "his errant children". About 1748 the Sioux at Leech Lake sent out three large unsuccessful war parties against their neighbors to the north, east & west in an attempt to relief the pressure and regain lost land (by 1748 the Eastern Dakota or the Sioux of the Lakes had probably already retreated south). As Paul arrives back in the Upper Mississippi in 1749 with the command of the Dakota trade he finds the tribes about Detroit dissatisfied with the French (many begin to trade with the British) and his son placed as commander of the Ojibwe trade on the south shore of Lake Superior.  By the spring of 1750, Paul was mentioned in Gov.La Jonquiere's orders to Jacques Legardeur, as "...Commandant at Green Bay and among the Sioux...I think that the surest way to find the Western Sea would be to go to the source of the Missouri...I have given orders to Sieur Marin to follow this route...". Paul Marin established Fort Presque Isle (Lake Erie) and Fort Le Bouef  (Waterford, Pennsylvania) in 1753, to help his mission of securing the Ohio Valley for France. Driving his large force of 1600 men in the summer & fall of that year he sustained casualties of half his force either through death or illness.

Claude Marin, sieur de la Perriere: (1705 - 1758)
    He was the son of Charles-Cesar Marin & Marie-Louise Lamy, born in Montreal. He married Madeleine Coulon de Villiers (daughter of Nicolas Coulon de Villiers & Angelique) at Montreal in 1737 (she later married Damours, sieur Clignancourt). Claude was a dominant trader out of Michilimackinac & "poste de Michipicoton",

Joseph Marin de St.Martin en de la Marque (Marin, 'fils'): (1719 - 1773)
     He was the son of Paul Marin & Marie-Josephte Guyon-Dupres baptized at Montreal. He married Charlotte-Ursule Fleury (daughter of Joseph Fleury Lagorgendiere & Claire Joliet) at Quebec City in 1745.
     In the winter of 1744/45 he was sent with his father and about 300 troops to attack Annapolis Royal in Acadia and remained in Acadia until 1748. From 1749 to 51 Joseph commanded Chagouamigon and then relieved his father in command at Green Bay in 1752. He wrote a journal while in Wisconsin country which starts on August, 7, 1753 and continues through June 20, 1754 [the journal is at the Henry E.Huntington Library & Art Gallery in San Marino, California]. After 1754 Joseph returned east and was involved in skirmishes with the British on the New York frontier (many with Rogers Rangers). Montcalm in a description of Marin wrote "...he was unwilling to amuse himself with prisoners; he brought in only one and 32 scalps". In 1759 Joseph was captured by the British & sent to England then later returned to France where he later was awarded the Cross of St.Louis in 1761. He and his son were with a force sent to fight in Madagascar in 1773 where they both died of the fever.

The following genealogical file is WinZip-ed;
To view/download file, click on file and UnZip in the Lotus 1-2-3 release 5 format.