Pierre-Charles Le Sueur: (1672-1704)
     He was the son of Victor LeSueur & Anne Honneur and married Marguerite Messier St.Michel (daughter of Michel Messier & Marie-Anne Lemoine/LeMoyne) at Boucherville, Chambly, Quebec in 1690. Their children were: Marie-Anne (b.1693, Montreal), Louise-Marguerite (b.1694, Montreal), Marie (b.1796, Montreal), Jean-Paul & Marguerite (b.1699, Montreal)(m.Nicolas Chauvin, sieur de La Freniere about 1724, Mobile, Alabama).
     Marguerite was familiar with the fur trade, having a father (he had been with LaSalle and Tonty in 1680) & a brother (Rene Messier Duchene) whom had been in the far west and a sister, Jeanne who was married to an important man in the business, Ignace Hebert. The success the family enjoyed, most likely, came from Marguerite's uncle, Charles Le Moyne, sieur de Longueuil, who was instrumental in developing the fur commerce in New France and his sons who were instrumental in reducing the British threat in North America and expanding the trade for New France.
     Before 1681, Pierre was in the western Great Lakes trading and at Sault Ste.Marie with Jesuit Father Pierre Bailloguet. In 1681 he was released from jail in Montreal for his activities and charged with trading illegally, but by 1683 he was with a convoy of 15 canoes from Montreal to Green Bay and the Mississippi. He was assisting Nicolas Perrot at Fort Antoine, (lower Lake Pepin on the Mississippi) when Perrot ceremonially took possession of the Mississippi's headwaters for France in May of 1689. In 1693 Pierre is sent west by Louis de Buade, Comte de Frontenac (Gov.General of New France) to establish forts about Lake Superior and peace between the native tribes. By 1695 he was commanding a fort at Chequamegon (Lapointe) & had establish another on the Brule-St.Croix Rivers route, the previous year. Now he was erecting another on an island of the Mississippi, 200 leagues above the Illinois River. In mid-July of 1695, he returned to Montreal with Chiefs of two native tribes (Ojibwe & Dakota) and five other Frenchmen.
     The later years of the 1690's, Pierre spent on at least two trips to France (on one trip he was captured at sea & spent the summer of 1697 as a British prisoner). On his return trip from France in 1699, he accompanied his wife's cousins (Pierre LeMoyne sieur d'Iberville, Jean Bte.LeMoyne sieur de Bienville & Antoine LeMoyne de Chateaugue) on their mission to permanently establish the claim of LaSalle, for France at the mouth of the Mississippi.
     At the end of April of 1700, Pierre & 24 men leave the mouth of the Mississippi for the Upper Mississippi and by September they arrived at Nicolas Perrot's island post of Isle Pelee, above Lake Bon Secours or Lake Pepin. At this point, according to Andre Penicaut's journal of the expedition (from "Fleur de Lys and Calumet", translated & edited by Richebourg McWilliams), "...the French from Canada set up their fort and trading center when they come to traffic in pelts and other merchandise; here, too, they spend the winter because game is very plentiful in the prairies on both sides of the river...When spring comes, the savages come to this island bringing their merchandise,...Often there are savages who rob the French-Canadian traders: particularly the savages of one village made up of five different nations distinguished by their names, namely, the Cioux, the people of the main village; the Mententons; the Mencouacantons; the Ouytespouy; some other Cioux of the soil;...Eight leagues upstream we found the Saut de St.Anthoine, which one can hear two leagues away...". LeSueur built Fort L'Huillier & mined what he thought was a copper ore, returning to the mouth of the Mississippi in February of 1702 and taking his ore back to France. On his return journey he caught the plague while in the Gulf of Mexico in the spring of 1704 and died.