Michael Brisbois I: (abt.1759 - 1837)
     He was the son of Joseph Dubois dit Brisbois & Catherine-Therese Renou dit Lachapelle, born at Yamaske, Quebec. Michel married 1st. to a Winnebago woman (half-blood), about 1785 and married 2nd. to Domitelle Gaultier de Verville (daughter of Charles Gaultier de Verville & Madelaine Chevalier), in 1796 at St.Ignace, Michilimackinac. His children were:  Antoine, Michael II (abt.1790-1820) (m. Cathyn Antaya), Angelique (abt.1793-abt.1827), Sophie (b.abt.1797), Charles (1798-1847), Joseph (abt.1800-1849) (m. Marie-Domitelle Fraser in 1826), Louis-Gabriel (b.1805) (m. Judith Provost in 1827), Bernard W. (1808-1885) (m.Therese Lachapelle in 1830), Mary, (m. Pierre Lachapelle), George-Pascal (b.1810), Marie-Louise (b.1814), Marguerite-Domitelle (b.1816) & Caritine (b.1818).
     Michel's grandmother was born as Mercy Adams, in Oyster River, Stafford Co., N.H. in 1673/74. On 19 July 1694 her father's home was attacked by about 240 Iroquois, accompanied by Father Thury and two other Frenchmen. They killed 104 British in the settlement (including Mercy's parents) and took 27 prisoners (including Mercy). She was adopted by the French military Commander (Charles-Antoine Plagnol) of the fort at St.Francois du Lac, Quebec and baptized with the name of Marie-Ursule. In 1704 she married Joseph-Marie Dubois dit Brisebois at Yamaska, Quebec. Michel's other grandmother was the sister of Paul Marin, Sieur de Lamarque who was a French military Commander & trader in the west. Another relative, his great-uncle Jean-Francois Brisebois Dubois had been in the west in 1701 & 1702 employed in the fur-trade. Other possible relatives, Jean Bte., Jacques & Joseph Brisebois were employed at Michilimackinac in 1758.
     Michel himself arrived in the west (Michilimackinac) in1779 and by 1781 was at Prairie du Chien on the Upper Mississippi River. By 1805 he had apparently settled at Prairie du Chien where his son, Louis-Gabriel was born and in 1809 he was commissioned a lieutenant in the Prairie du Chien Militia by the Governor of Illinois. During the War of 1812 he seems to have remained relatively neutral, but sent his son (Charles) north with his brother-in-law (Henry M.Fisher) who was also avoiding the conflict. In July of 1816, Michel Sr. was arrested for treason during that war by the American Commander at Fort Crawford, Brevt.Brig.Gen. Thomas A.Smith and taken to St.Louis, Missouri for trial by Col.Talbot Chambers. Michel was defended by Col.Thomas Benten and acquitted of the charges. Three years after his arrest for treason Michel was appointed Chief Justice for Crawford County by Michigan Territorial Gov. Lewis Cass. By 1836 Michel had grown blind and he died at Prairie du Chien in June of 1837.