Philander Prescott: (1801-1862)
     He was the son of Dr.Joel Prescott & Phidelia (Lucy) Reed, born at Phelps, Ontario Co., N.Y. He married Mary Kee-e-hei (Spirit of the Moon) Nahhenowenahkeehei (daughter of Wameduta/Red Eagle or Keeehei/Man Who Flies, Chief of Lake Cahoun village) in 1823 in Minnesota. Their children were: William A. (b.1824, Ft.Snelling), Lucy (1827/28-1910)(m.Eli Pettijohn in 1849 at Shakopee), Harriet (b.1829), Hiram (b.1831, Big Sioux River Post)(m.Margaret & Livina Hamilton in 1857), Caroline (b.1837), Lawrence T.(b.1838, Ft.Snelling), Julia (b.1841, Ft.Snelling)(m.1st.Isaac Barstow in 1855, 2nd.John C.Tyler in 1864 & 3rd.Charles N.Skillman in 1877 at Wabasha), Sophia (b.1844, Ft.Snelling)(m.Emsily J.Hamilton in 1867), Lewis R.(b.1841) & Mary E.(b.1846).
     Philander & his brother (Zachariah) left there home in New York and arrived in Detroit in the spring of 1819. Zachariah was employed as a sutler's clerk at the American fort at Detroit and Philander left in the fall for the area of today's Hastings, Minnesota where his employer, Louis Devotian,  had sent up a temporary supply station for the new fort (Ft.Snelling) under construction at the mouth of the St.Peters River (Minnesota River). He traded out of Traverse des Sioux, Land's End, Leaf Lake & Leech Lake Posts but in 1827 he left the Upper Mississippi for St.Louis, Louisiana & Texas. In the fall of 1828 he was back at Ft.Snelling searching for the Dakota woman who was the mother of his son William. He found her accompanying a buffalo hunt in the Missouri Valley and upon their return to Ft.Snelling were married by Samuel Pond in 1829. He was employed as an interpreter at the Fort & when Taliaferro (U.S.Indian Agent) helped create a Dakota farming community on the south shore of Lake Calhoun which he called "Eatonville", he employed Philander to teach the European methods of farming. By 1831 he was back into the fur trade, wintering on the Big Sioux branch of the Missouri River in that year and back at Traverse des Sioux in competition with old trader Louis Provencalle (Lablanc) in 1833. In 1837 he was farming on the east side of the St.Croix near its mouth (Prescott, Wisconsin) and three years later he was granted a license to establish a ferry crossing on the St.Croix. During the 1850's Philander was the Superintendent of Farming for the Dakota and with Willis & Eli Pettijohn, built a flour mill powered by the Minnehaha Creek (near Lake Harriet) which they called "Richfield Mills". In 1862 he was an interpreter at the Lower Sioux Agency, on the Minnesota River, when he heard of the Dakota raids. As he was heading for the safety of near by Fort Ridgely on foot, he was killed by one of the raiding parties.