Jean Baptiste Perrault (Perrot) II: (1763 - 1844)
     He was the son of Jean Bte.Perrot (Perrault) I & Marie Lemaitre, born at Trois-Rivieres, Quebec. His father belonged to a  very respectable Canadian family and was employed in the time of the French, in a forge at  Saint-Maurice, then at Trois-Rivières, when the country became an English Colony. Later, he was trading at Rivière-du-Loup.  Jean II departed, in 1783, in order to trade on the Illinois on the behalf of Nicolas Marchesseau, an important trader at this time on the Upper Mississippi. His companions on this journey were Canadians: Sacharitè of Quebec; St.Germain, Robert & Dupuis of Maskinongè; Antoine & Francois Beauchemin, Ménard, L.Lavallée of Sorel & Yamaska . Marchesseau sold all his goods in the trade to Chouteau, of St-Louis.
     The following is his narrative of a trade expedition he was on led by Alexander Kay to the height of land separating the Mississippi & the Great Lakes drainage basins, west of the headwaters of Lake Superior, in 1784-85, published in the "Michigan Pioneer and Historical Collections" in 1909: "...Upon entering the river the next day and doubling the point of the little lake, we saw a wintering-house. It was that of Mr. Dufaut, come from Grand Portage, clerk for NW. and we stopped before his door. As Mr.Kay had perhaps taken only one drink he now took the second which made him ill-tempered so that instead of receiving politely Mr. Dufaut, who came down to meet him on the beach, he treated him rudely...The character of Mr.Kay was eccentric a man proud, impulsive, arrogant, enthusiastic, - taking counsel from no one, - in short, hare-brained...We started at all hazards to go into the interior with only what we had left...His party was composed of 14 men, his sauvagesse, himself, and me...To crown our misfortune we now met Mr.Harris with his three men and a savage named le Grosse Martre...I advised him to remain at Fond du Lac and to go up to the savages at the first opening of navigation, when they would be rich...Mr.Kay and Mr.Harris with seven men set out in advance to engage the savages to hunt...the savage arrived with a letter from Mr.Kay, informing me that he had decided to go to the Riviere aux Pins, and that he would send me some hunters. He directed me to try to advance to the Portage de la Prairie if possible and to pass the winter there...It took us eleven days to go from there to Portage de la Prairie amidst snow and ice, with nothing to eat. We lived on the seed-pods of the wild rose and the sap of trees...I made a lodge with an oilcloth near the small Lac de la Puise on the portage...the 26th of January and the 27th I went out with my man, whose name was Lauzon, to cut logs to build a house, 12 feet long by 10 feet wide. It was finished the 9th of February...We left the house about the 25th of April, for the little rivers opened early there...The water was very high and we could run the Portage des Pins, which we did. Mr.Kay wished to do as much, but about half way down the rapid, the canoe turned completely over destroying his baggage and he himself would have drowned, if le Petit Mort, his friend, had not leaped in to his rescue...The next day we arrived at Lac des Sables and reached the entrance near la Puisse...le Bras Casse, chief of Lac des Sables was at the lower end of a bay with some of his men making canoes...We remained there from the 27th day of that month till the 2nd of May to trade with the savages, who came in form all sides...The savages gave me the name of scribe, which they were accustomed to do to all whom the observed writing. As soon as Mr.Kay was gone I did not want for visits; Mr.Kay's savage woman staid in the tent with me. A great may savages came, among whom were, Katawabitais and Mang-Ozeit, who said to me, Scribe, give us some rum. I said to them that I could not, that I was not master. They tormented me a long time...Le Bariqueaeu appeared, who said that Mr.Harris and Mr.Pineau were about to arrive. Sure enough they appeared at le Puisse; the savages, all drunk, uttered cries of joy...they themselves were drunk from the flagon which Mr.Kay had carried with him...The festival was complete..."
     Until 1789 he traded on the Chippewa, Minnesota, Crow Wing & Mississippi Rivers and from 1789 to 1803 an employee of the Fond du Lac Dept. He retired from the fur trade in 1821 and died at Sault Ste.Marie in 1844.